Published: May 27, 2004
By Rick Reeno
Mike Tyson better get a few more fights lined up because a couple is suing Mike Tyson for more than $15 million, charging that Tyson beat them senseless last year at the Brooklyn Marriott. Most recall the videotape which showed Mike landing some of his best lefthooks in years as he was being threatened by the couple.
Samuel Velez, 22, says he suffers facial numbness and short-term memory loss because of the June 21, 2003 violence.
“There is significant brain damage, according to the doctors who have been seeing him for the past six months,” said family spokesman Wilson LaFaurie.
Velez and his wife, Thamara Velez, filed suit yesterday in Brooklyn federal court, saying the former heavyweight champ “without provocation or justification” attacked them.
The brawl began when Samuel Velez’s friend, Nester Alvarez-Ramos, 25, tried to shake the boxer’s hand, according to Velez and Alvarez-Ramos.
They claim the champ became angry and chased and pounded both of them.
The Tyson camp has said the champ acted in self-defense after the two men threatened him by saying, “You got fists. We got guns.”
Prosecutors dropped an assault charge against Tyson in return for his guilty plea to disorderly conduct
Tyson is currently doing community service by teaching young children about boxing in Gleason’s gym in Brooklyn, New York.