Tyson court case aftermath: hotel brawlers off hook

By
TysonTalk

Published: March 24, 2004

March 24, 2004

The men who brawled with Mike Tyson at the Brooklyn Marriott last year won the fight in court yesterday.

Samuel Velez, 22, and Nestor Alvarez-Ramos, 25, smiled as they left
Brooklyn criminal court with their lawyer, Wilson LaFaurie, after the
menacing charges against them were dropped.

“They finally realized that we had nothing to do with it,”
Velez, who suffered the most severe injuries during the brawl, told The
Post.

“My only shock was that Mr. Tyson did not go to jail,” said Velez, who suffered a gash to the head during the incident.

The two fans say Alvarez-Ramos was just trying to shake the
former heavyweight boxing champ’s hand in the early morning of June 21,
2003, when the champ went ballistic at the downtown Brooklyn hotel.

Tyson, 37, struck a well-publicized plea bargain with
prosecutors last month. He agreed to plead guilty to disorderly
conduct, to go through six months of counseling and to work with kids,
in exchange for the dismissal of misdemeanor assault and harassment
charges.

Source: New York Post