Published: April 12, 2005
Mike Tyson is
expected to attend a noon news conference today at the Lincoln Theatre
in Washington, where the former world champion will announce his
intentions to fight Ireland’s Kevin McBride on June 11 at MCI Center,
his adviser, Shelly Finkel, said last night.
The Sun reported
last month that McBride (32-4-1, 27 knockouts) and Germany’s Andreas
Sidon (26-5, 20 KOs) were among Tyson’s prospective rivals for a bout
on Showtime pay per view. Tyson (50-5, 44 knockouts) has, in fact,
chosen to meet McBride
The 6ft 6in “Clones Colossus” boasts a professional record of 32 victories, four losses and a draw, winning his last seven fights by knockout.
Both Tyson, who will turn 39 on June 30, and McBride, 31, have signed
contracts to fight. Finkel said Tyson “went before the [Washington,
D.C. Athletic Commision yesterday] and he’s signed the contract to
Tyson was approved and licensed last night by the commission, said a source close to the event.
Marty Wynn of Raging Promotions is expected to promote the fight.